Columbus Community Recreation Centers Remain Open During Heat Wave
As excessive heat continues in the area, Mayor Andrew J.
Ginther reminds Columbus residents that Columbus Recreation and Parks Department
community recreation centers remain open.
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018, Columbus Recreation and
Parks Community Centers are open from noon until 9 p.m. with the following
- Gillie Community Senior Center: 8 a.m. to
- Martin Janis Community Senior Center: 8
a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Barnett Community Center: 9 a.m. to 8:45
- Lazelle Woods Community Center: 7 a.m. to
- Marion Franklin Community Center: 8 a.m.
to 8 p.m.
- Schiller Community Center: 9 a.m. to 7:45
- Sullivant Gardens Community Center: Noon
to 6 p.m.
- Westgate Community Center: 9 a.m. to 9
- Whetstone Community Center: 8 a.m. to 9
A complete list of centers, their locations and contact
information can be found online at https://www.columbus.gov/recreationandparks/recreation-centers/All-Community-Centers/
Columbus Public Health reminds residents of ways to stay
healthy and safe in hot weather:
- Drink plenty of water – do not wait until you
- Stay inside in air conditioning whenever
possible. If you do not have an air conditioner, use movie theatres,
malls, libraries and other public places that are cool.
- Avoid beverages with alcohol, caffeine and sugar
because they will dehydrate you.
- Eat light meals.
- Wear lightweight, light colored clothing and a
- Stay in the shade.
- Limit your outdoor activity to morning and