Director of Media Relations
News Date: February 11, 2019
City of Columbus Announces Human Services Grants
Mayor Andrew J. Ginther and Columbus City Councilmember Priscilla Tyson announced 41 agencies that will be recipients of $4.5 million dollars in Human Services grants in 2019-20 to help create lasting change in the lives of those who are economically insecure in our community. The recipients were culled from 142 proposals.
“Our vision of economic security and resilience for residents requires building a thriving community where individuals and families have access to education, training, living wages, higher paying jobs, financial wellness programs and stable housing,” said Mayor Ginther. “Our goal in selecting agencies for these grants is to invest in programs that move toward this vision.”
To reduce the burden on non-profit organizations, the City partnered with the United Way of Central Ohio to streamline the proposal submission process. Volunteers from various backgrounds across the community came together to review each proposal.
Funds for the grants program come from the City’s General Fund and Emergency Human Services Fund, pending approval from Columbus City Council.
“City Council values the partnerships we have with our human services providers,” said Councilmember Tyson. “The programs these organizations offer provide critical services that enable many residents to thrive.”
Programs that these grants support include mentoring for teens, healthy family connections, workforce development and much more. Agencies that will receive funding include:
• Academy for Urban Scholars
• Action for Children
• All THAT – Teens Hopeful About Tomorrow
• Breathing Association
• Center for Health Families, Inc.
• Central Community House
• Charitable Pharmacy of Central Ohio, Inc.
• CHOICES for Victims of Domestic Violence
• Clintonville-Beechwold Community Resources Center
• Columbus Urban League
• Community Housing Network, Inc.
• Community Kitchen, Inc.
• Community Mediation Services Of Central Ohio, Inc.
• DOMA INTERNATIONAL dba Freedom a la Cart
• Dress for Success Columbus
• Economic and Community Development Institute, Inc.
• Faith Mission, Inc.
• Franklinton Development Association
• Franklinton Rising
• Gladden Community House
• Goodwill Columbus
• Halt Violence
• HandsOn Central Ohio, Inc.
• Homeless Families Foundation
• Huckleberry House, Inc.
• Impact Community Action
• Jewish Family Services
• Legal Aid Society of Columbus
• Local Matters
• Mid-Ohio Foodbank
• NNEMAP, Inc.
• Our Helpers
• Salvation Army
• Somali Community Association of Ohio
• St. Stephens Community House
• Star House
• The Starfish Alliance, Inc.
• Think Make Live Youth
• United Way
• Volunteers of America, Inc.
• YWCA Columbus