Frequently Asked Questions


What do Neighborhood Liaisons do? 

The Neighborhood Liaisons serve as your direct link to city services. They are located in Neighborhood Pride Centers in each region of Columbus. Liaisons work with residents, city officials, and organizations to help your neighborhood thrive.   
From reporting a neighborhood issue, to starting an Area Commission, Neighborhood Liaisons are ready and committed to accepting your questions, calls and emails to best serve your neighborhood. If you are unsure where to start, your Neighborhood Liaison will make sure you are directed to the appropriate city service.   
Common examples include: 

  • To connect with or start a community organization
  • To meet with your city representatives
  • To ask a question about your neighborhood
  • Learn more about your community

and much, much more!       

Who is my Neighborhood Liaison?

Find your liaison here.

Additionally, you can check your address on the Area Commission Map

What do Area Commissions do? 

The purpose of an Area Commission is to allow participation by residents in decision-making in an advisory capacity and to facilitate communication, understanding, and cooperation between neighborhood groups, city officials, and developers. This is done by

  • Creating plans and policies which shall serve as guidelines for future development of the area
  • Bringing the problems and needs of the area to the attention of appropriate agencies or residents
  • Reviewing zoning and other development related applications 

Learn more about your Area Commission and how to get involved by contacting your Neighborhood Liaison or the Area Commission Chair. You can find both on the Area Commission Map.

What is the difference between an area commission and civic association?

Much like Area Commissions, Civic Associations are made up of a group of residents that seeks to improve the quality of their neighborhood or area. However, while there are only 20 Area Commissions in Columbus, there are hundreds of Civic Associations. The City of Columbus defines a Civic Association as: a non-public, volunteer, organization made up of the residents and other stakeholders of a geographically defined area of the city of Columbus establish for the purpose of providing a holistic approach to improving the quality of life in the aforementioned area. 

The 311 Customer Service Center is the single point of contact for requesting all non-emergency City services and is available to residents, City businesses, and visitors. You can call 311 for neighborhood issues such as

  • Reporting a pothole on a city street
  • Requesting repair for your 90 gallon refuse container
  • Reporting a street light that needs repair
  • Reporting an abandoned vehicle
  • Reporting trash/debris in an alley or curb

If you are unsure of who to get in touch with, your Neighborhood Liaison will make sure you are directed to the appropriate city service. 

Why am I so often referred to 311 for when I have a community concern?

When a request is made to 311, a Service Request (SR) is created. That SR is then forwarded to the City Department that is best suited to complete the request. Using your SR number, you are able to receive updates on the request you have made. 

The 311 Customer Service Center is the primary method by which the City receives, collects, and tracks data related to City issues and requests. By making a 311 request, you are ensuring that the information you provide can be tracked and distributed to the most appropriate location for that request to be resolved. 

I made a report to 311 but it has not been addressed, who should I contact? 

Using your Service Request (SR) number, you can check online or call 311 at (614) 645-3111 for an update on your request. Additionally, you may wish to follow up with the concern with your Neighborhood Liaison.