New American Leadership Academy
The New American Leadership Academy (NALA), sponsored by the Department of Neighborhoods, is a leadership and professional development program focused on civic engagement for our New American residents. Participants will receive mentorship, professional development and cover topics such as government, civic responsibility, and implicit bias. The Academy selects individuals who are ready to grow and enhance their knowledge of civic engagement, community stewardship, leadership, and discover new ways to contribute to our community.
Knowledge gained as a result of the program will equip participants with the skills needed to empower their communities in a culturally appropriate manner. NALA provides opportunities to:
• Receive lectures and presentations on local government, public policy, and neighborhood and community leadership
• Engage in a service project that reflects the skills learned in the program
• Engage with community and government leaders
By the end of the academy, participants will have gained the skills necessary to navigate local governments and, in turn, help not only themselves and their professional development but, empower their communities to do the same. The academy is open to all qualified applicants 18 years or older with a high school diploma or equivalent.
Calendar of events:
*All sessions from 5:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- February 15, 2019 – Application Opens @ 8:00 a.m.
- February 28, 2019 – Application Closes @ 5:00 p.m.
- March 15, 2019 – Selected applicants notified
- March 27, 2019 – Welcoming reception
- April 8, 2019 – Session 1
- April 17, 2019 – Session 2
- May 1, 2019 - Session 3
- May 15, 2019 – Session 4
- May 29, 2019 - Session 5
- June 12, 2019 – Session 6
- June 26, 2019 - Session 7
- July 10, 2019 - Session 8
- July 24, 2019 - Closing program
The application period for the Spring 2019 session of the New American Leadership Academy has closed. Selected applicants will be notified by March 15, 2019. Look for updates on the Fall 2019 session of the New American Leadership Academy later this year!