Columbus Small Business Utility Bill Assistance
Special emergency funding is available to eligible small businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in the City of Columbus with city water, sewer, stormwater and/or power accounts that are having difficulty paying their utility bills or are at the point of disconnection. Watch: Assistant Director Derek Anderson spoke to CTV about this program.
This program offers a one-time matching grant of 50% of the past due amount of an eligible City of Columbus water, sewer, stormwater or power bill, up to a $5,000 maximum. Approved customers will receive a one-time credit on their account. Funding is limited and provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Apply online or view brochure with application.
Business must have an active City of Columbus water, sewer, stormwater or power account.
- Business must be located within the City of Columbus.
- The Columbus utility bill must be at least 90 days delinquent.
- Business is an employer with at least 2 employees and no more than 25 employees paid via W-2 wages.
- Applicant business has experienced revenue loss or incurred unplanned costs caused by COVID-19.
- Applicant business is in good standing with the city's income tax division.
- Applicant business is not a party to current or pending litigation or enforcement action by the City of Columbus.
- Business with AEP power accounts.
- Businesses located outside of the City of Columbus.
- Buinesses operated by a governmental agency.
- Applicant business is primarily engaged in political or lobbying activities or political issue advocacy.
- The applicant business is primarily engaged in the sale, cultivation or distribution of cannabis products.
- The applicant is a State of Ohio liquor agency.
- The applicant business is a financial institution that makes loans or issues credit to the public, including but not limited to banks, credit unions, pay day lenders, or any other small business.
Apply Online or view program details (includes an application).
Customers can also set up a payment plan on their bill in addition to applying for this emergency bill assistance.