Division of Fleet Management
To provide fleet management support services to City agencies to ensure efficient, safe, reliable, and green vehicle operation and maintenance.
"Ohio City Hosts Fire Technician Training," Government Fleet, October 2015.
"Columbus Receives Propane Mowers for Research Program," Government Fleet, July 2015.
"Columbus Takes Delivery of CNG Refuse Trucks," Government Fleet, July 2015.
Click here for other Fleet Recognition and Awards
Typical Services Provided by Fleet Management:
- Responsible for acquisition of city vehicles, their disposal, and right-cycling for optimal use
- Preventive and predictive fleet maintenance and all general service maintenance repairs for approximately 6,000 pieces of equipment
- Responsible for alternative fuel programs for vehicles/equipment – including building specifications for alternative fuel vehicles and infrastructure
- Implementation of and adherence to the Mayor’s Green Fleet Action Plan in an effort to reduce the city’s’ overall carbon footprint
- Develops, implements and promotes city-wide policies that govern acquisition, maintenance, use and disposal of vehicles while working with city departments to reduce underutilized vehicles and eliminate older, high-maintenance units from the fleet
- Risk management for vehicle/equipment damage (recovery, subrogation, claims investigation)
- Operation of the city vehicle pool, shuttle bus, and bike pool
- Emergency support and services for the city’s safety services, including support services for electric generators
- Manage the City’s fueling contracts and fuel cards and fueling locations
- Serve as the parts and supplier services contract manager for the Department of Public Utilities
- Works with the Mayor’s office to develop and implement Green Fleet policies city-wide and coordinates grant applications and processing
Key Performance Measures:
- Percentage of fleet maintenance work orders that must be re-done
- Percentage of work orders completed within 48 hours
The Fleet Management Division provides state-of-the-art total fleet management service – “cradle to grave” responsibility for all city vehicles/equipment, ensuring that the city’s Replacement Standard drive budgets and replacement schedules for all vehicles. The Division maintains all motorized equipment for City departments such as Public Safety and Public Service. In addition to providing vehicle utilization and replacement information and management, Fleet Management also participates and helps coordinate the sale of surplus vehicles.
Fleet Management works with community partners and city agencies to identify green opportunities, promoting new technological developments, and increased training opportunities for employees in an effort to maintain vehicles safely and responsibly, while reducing energy costs.
The Division is the largest municipality in the country that is ASE Blue Seal recognized. It became an Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Blue Seal shop in 2008 and has achieved this same recognition every year since.
Division continues to earn recognition both nationally and regionally for its efficient management, quality staff, superior services, and innovative green practices. The Division was ranked by 100 Best Fleets in North America the 2nd position for 2012 and 2013 and 1st place for the Government Green Fleet Award (2011). Fleet also received the Clean Fuels Ohio “Champions Award” for 2011 for its innovative thinking and progressive practices toward greening the city’s overall fleet.