Obtaining Water Service in a Community Garden

Community Garden LadiesAssemble the following items:
  • The property's Parcel ID number from the Franklin County Auditor's Office 
  • A certified property address which can be obtained by completing an address request form and submitting it to the Division of Planning and Operations (614-645-5661). Allow 1 - 3 days for processing.
  • The property owner must grant permission to use the grounds as a community garden and sign a tenant billing agreement with the gardening organization.
  • If the garden is part of the City's Land Bank, the Real Estate Asset Manager will represent the City and sign the Tenant billing agreement as the owner. In addition, a Land Bank Community Garden Site Lease will need to be signed by both parties. View a list of properties available for the Land Bank Community Garden Program; a map of locations ia also available.
    Apply for a Land Bank Community Garden Site Lease To determine if the property ever had water service, call us at 614-645-7330. This will determine the next steps (3 scenarios outlined below) and any fees that may be required.

    You will then need to complete a service connection permit application with the Permit Office located on the 3rd floor of the Department of Public Utilities at 910 Dublin Road, Columbus, OH 43215. You will need the items listed above (parcel number, certified property address, tenant billing agreement and possibly signed a Land Bank Site Lease).

The three scenarios for water service at the property & what steps to take next include:

1. If water service did previously exist at the property (this is the most frequent scenario):

  1. Contact a certified water service contractor to install:
    • Any piping needed from the curb stop to the meter
    • Meter box
    • Backflow preventer
  2. Install piping from the backflow preventer to the spigot

Illustration with existing service on-site

2. If water service never existed at the property (this is rare):

Contact us at 614-645-7330 to have a service line and curb box installed off of the city's main line; then proceed with steps 1 & 2 above.

3. If a neighboring resident will supply water:

Call 614-645-7330 to get information on installing an auxiliary meter, which will measure water used in the garden.

Illustration neighbor provides service

Water TankerIf your garden has a cistern:
This list of water haulers provides options for gardeners who are interested in contracting to fill cisterns during periods of low rainfall.

Additional information on community gardens can be found at the Get Green Columbus website, Get Involved page. Topics of interest include: free tool rental from the Tool Library, how to get free wood chips provided by Recreation & Parks and the Franklin Park Conservatory's Growing to Green program.