Family Tradition: “Loyalty to the family, loyalty to the business, loyalty to the community and the nation.”
Charles Lazarus, a native of Columbus, began his career as a part time Lazarus associate. After graduation from Yale University, in 1936, he joined the store as a full time salesman. In 1941 he left the Lazarus store to serve his country as a member of the military. By the time of his discharge in 1945, he had attained the rank of lieutenant colonel, Air Force Transportation Command, and had been decorated with honors such as the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star, among others. After the way, he returned to Lazarus and became vice president in 1947. Later, he was name executive vice president and became president of Lazarus in 1959.
Charles Lazarus, served as president of Temple Israel from 1958 to 1962. During his term the congregation built the temple at 5419 E. Broad Street. In 1952 he received the Humanitarian Award from Temple Israel. And, again, in 1999 they honored him for his lifetime of continued outstanding leadership and philanthropic activities in support of both the Jewish and greater Columbus communities.
While Charles Y. Lazarus’ merchandising accomplishments are impressive, his wide range of civic, educational and religious affiliations are equally important to him. He is a symbol of strong leadership in a whole spectrum of community accomplishments. In 1968, President Johnson picked Charles Lazarus as one of the 50 top businessmen in the nation to lead a campaign to find jobs for the unemployable in Columbus. He accepted the challenge with enthusiasm, hope and determination. People are what has always been important to him. As simply stated by Charles Y. Lazarus himself, “Yes our business is tied to Columbus, but it also happens to be a fact that our hearts are tied to it, too.”