The City of Columbus has been recognized both locally and nationally for its sustainability efforts. This attention is encouraging and serves as an indicator of progress being made towards building an increasingly sustainable community.
Awards and Recognition
20164-STAR Certified. STAR Communities recognizes the City of Columbus for promoting a healthy environment, a strong economy and well-being for all residents, now and for future generations.
- American Public Works Association’s Sustainability Practices Award for protecting the environment through the Get Green Columbus initiative.
- Cities100 publication for the Sustaining Scioto project. Columbus was selected for the global publication, developed by Sustainia in collaboration with C40. The publication names 100 concrete city solutions to climate change that can be scaled and replicated across the world.
- National Environmental Health Association Excellence in Sustainability Award from Underwriter’s Laboratories for using innovative and environmentally friendly practices.
- US Conference of Mayors designation of Mayor Michael B. Coleman as a Climate Leader for the work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 13% from the city’s fleet as a result of the Green Fleet program.
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium: Founders Award presented to Mayor Michael B. Coleman for his leadership in sustainability.
- Green Restaurant Association: Mapori Restaurant at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium has received the status of a Four Star Certified Green Restaurant.
- National Planning Awards: Excellence for Innovation in Economic Development and Planning for the East Franklinton Creative Community District Plan.
- Ohio Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects: CoGo Bike Share received the Ohio Landscape Architecture Award
- Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission: Green Leader Award presented to Mayor's Office, Environmental Steward, Erin Miller
- Ohio Bicycle Federation: CoGo Bike Share received the Horace Huffman Award
- Gizmodo: Columbus Commons named one of "The five coolest new parks and public spaces in the U.S."
- Heavy Duty Trucking: City of Columbus, Division of Fleet Management named a " Top 50 Green Fleet"
- Keep America Beautiful: Innovation Award for the Pick It Up! campaign
Waste & Recycling News: Green City Award for excellence in recycling accomplishments and innovative promotion/education using the RecyColumbus campaign.
• Audubon Conservation Champion Award: Mayor Michael B. Coleman
• American Planning Association, Ohio Chapter: Award of Excellence in the category of Focused Planning for the Big Darby Town Center Master Plan created in partnership between the City of Columbus, Franklin County, Brown Township and Prairie Township.
• PRSA: Merit Award for the RecyColumbus campaign
• Columbus Underground: CoGo Bike Share named best alternate mode of transportation
• Thumbtack, Small Business Insight: Top ten eco-friendly city
• Corporate Knights Magazine, in conjunction with Tufts University Political Science professor Kent E. Portney named Columbus a Top Ten Greenest City in America (ranked 8th, tied with Chicago, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Phoenix)
• Solid Waste Association of North America, Buckey Chapter: Innovator Award for the biodigester project in partnership with Quasar, Columbus and SWACO
• American Advertising Federation (Columbus): A Gold ADDY Award for the GreenSpot Kids program in the category of Public Service, Integrated Campaign and a Silver ADDY Award for the GreenSpot Kids program in the category of Public Service, Non-Traditional
• Government Fleet: Ranked #2 Fleet in the Country
• Government Fleet: Ranked #1 Greenest Fleet in North America
• Clean Fuels Ohio Champion Award
• US Chamber/Siemens Sustainable Community Award Finalist
• Green Energy Ohio Public Official of the Year Award: Mayor Coleman
• NRDC: Columbus named a 'Smarter City'- Energy
• MORPC Energy & Air Award
• America's Best Rose Garden: Whetstone Park of Roses
• SWACO Emerald Award, Education category: GreenSpot Program
• SWACO Emerald Award, Leadership Award: Mayor Coleman
• American Lung Association: Clean Vehicle Champion Award
• Government Fleet: Ranked 7th Greenest Fleet in North America
• Ohio Environmental Council, Public Servant Award
• Government Fleet: Ranked 22nd Greenest Fleet in North America
• Government Fleet: Environmental Leadership Award
• Designated as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists
• American Council of Engineering: Award of Excellence for the Bike User Map (a collaborative project with MORPC)
• Clean Fuels Ohio Champion Award
• Bicycling Magazine: New Best City for Cycling (June issue)
• SustainLane: US Cities Rankings 30 of 50, advancing 20 places since 2006
• National Association of Industrial and Office Properties: Green Development Award for renovations completed on the Lazarus Building
• Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance: Inspiring Energy Efficiency Impact Award for the Greenview Estates affordable, green housing development.