Hepatitis A Statewide Outbreak
There has been an increase of hepatitis A cases in Ohio and
nearby states, and the Ohio Department of Health has declared a statewide
community outbreak. You can take steps to get educated and protect your health.
What is hepatitis A?
Hepatitis A is an acute viral infection that affects the
How can hepatitis A
The virus enters the body when hands, food or objects
contaminated with stool (poop) are put in the mouth. Even if you can’t see it,
tiny amounts of the virus can get into your mouth and make you sick.
It can be spread by:
• Close contact with a person who is sick with hepatitis A
• Eating food prepared by a person with hepatitis A
• Oral/anal sex play (using fingers, hands, mouth or sex
toys for anal play) with a person with hepatitis A
What are the symptoms
of hepatitis A?
• Jaundice (yellow eyes and skin)
• Abdominal (stomach or side) pain
• Nausea (upset stomach) or vomiting
• Fatigue (feeling tired)
What is the treatment
for hepatitis A?
There is no specific treatment for hepatitis A. Most people
recover within 3 weeks. Some people require supportive care at a hospital.
Is there a vaccine
for hepatitis A?
Yes, there is a vaccine that can help prevent hepatitis A.
It is recommended for:
• All children at one and two years of age
• People with chronic liver disease, including chronic
hepatitis B and C
• Men who have sex with men
• People who use drugs
• People experiencing homelessness
• Travelers to countries where hepatitis A is common
How can I protect
myself from hepatitis A?
• Get vaccinated for hepatitis A if you are risk.
• Wash hands for 20 seconds with soap and water after using
the toilet, changing diapers and before preparing or eating food.
For more information, call 614-645-1474 (option 3) or visit
Week 40, 2018 (September 30, 2018-October 6, 2018)
- Week 41, 2018 (October 7,
2018-October 13, 2018)
Week 42, 2018
(October 14, 2018-October 20, 2018)
Week 43, 2018 (October 21, 2018-October 27, 2018)
Week 44, 2018 (October 28, 2018-November
Week 45, 2018 (November 4, 2018-November 10, 2018)
Week 46, 2018
(November 11, 2018-November 17, 2018)
Week 47, 2018
(November 18, 2018-November 24, 2018)
Week 48, 2018 (November 24,
2018-December 1, 2018)
Week 49, 2018 (December 2,
2018-December 8, 2018)