Safe Needle Disposal
Protect yourself from diseases like HIV and Hepatitis.
Use a new needle, alcohol swabs and sterile supplies every time you inject.
Protect your family and community. Safely dispose of used needles at home.
- Keep needles away from kids and pets.
- Get tested for HIV and hepatitis.
- Get clean needles:
- If you use needles for medical reasons,
call your doctor.
- If you are an IV drug user, call Safe Point
(614-460-1406) for needles, treatment
and overdose prevention.
- If you find needles in your neighborhood,
- Buy a sharps container at the pharmacy.
- Use an outdoor needle drop box.
- Return used needles and get new ones at a needle
- Always place used needles in a safe container.
- Place needles in a hard plastic bottle (bleach, 2-Liter Pop) with screw top.
- Seal the cap tightly using duct tape.
- Label the bottle "Danger. Needles Inside."
- Place the bottle in a tied trash bag and put it in a trash can.
- Use needles more than once.
- Share needles with anyone.
- Inject in the same spot over and over again.
- Try to remove, bend, break or recap needles.
- Throw used needles in the trash, recycling bins,
or on the ground.
- Flush needles down the toilet or drop them into
Download and print our Safe Needle Disposal card here.
You can also safely drop-off used needles at the following locations:
Equitas Health (Short North)
1033 N. High St, Columbus, OH 43201
Tuesdays: 5:30pm - 7:00pm
Saturdays: 8:30am – 12:30pm
Safe Point (Equitas Health):
1267 West Broad Street, Columbus Ohio, 43222
Tuesdays: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Wednesdays: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Fridays*: 9:00am - 1:00pm *(starting 2/19/19)
Saturdays: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Disposal Boxes (unless listed differently below available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week):
Columbus Fire Dept. Station 17
2250 West Broad Street, Columbus, OH 43223
Columbus Fire Dept. Station 18
1630 Cleveland Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211
Columbus Public Health (next to rear entrance of the building)
240 Parsons Avenue, Columbus OH 43215
Corpus Christi Church
1111 Steward Avenue, Columbus, OH 43206
Dodge Recreation Center
667 Sullivant Avenue., Columbus, OH 43215
Equitas Health (Tue. 5:30-7 p.m. & Sat. 8:30 a.m.-noon)
1033 North High Street, Columbus, 43201
Franklin County Job and Family Services, Near East Opportunity Center
1055 Mount Vernon Avenue, Columbus, OH 43203
Franklin County Job & Family Services, Northland Opportunity Center
1721 Northland Park Avenue, Columbus, OH 43229
Hilltop Library Branch (on the Powell Avenue side of the library)
511 South Hague Avenue, Columbus, OH 43204
Primary One (John Maloney Health Center - on the Barthman Avenue side of the building)
1905 Parsons Avenue, Columbus, OH 43207
199 South Central Avenue, Columbus, OH 43223