Safe Needle Disposal
Protect yourself from diseases like HIV and Hepatitis.
Use a new needle, alcohol swabs and sterile supplies every time you inject.
Protect your family and community. Safely dispose of used needles at home.
- Keep needles away from kids and pets.
- Get tested for HIV and hepatitis.
- Get clean needles:
- If you use needles for medical reasons,
call your doctor.
- If you are an IV drug user, call Safe Point
(614-460-1406) for needles, treatment
and overdose prevention.
- If you find needles in your neighborhood,
- Buy a sharps container at the pharmacy.
- Use an outdoor needle drop box.
- Return used needles and get new ones at a needle
- Always place used needles in a safe container.
- Place needles in a hard plastic bottle (bleach, 2-Liter Pop) with screw top.
- Seal the cap tightly using duct tape.
- Label the bottle "Danger. Needles Inside."
- Place the bottle in a tied trash bag and put it in a trash can.
- Use needles more than once.
- Share needles with anyone.
- Inject in the same spot over and over again.
- Try to remove, bend, break or recap needles.
- Throw used needles in the trash, recycling bins,
or on the ground.
- Flush needles down the toilet or drop them into
Download and print our Safe Needle Disposal card here.
You can also safely drop-off used needles at the following locations:
Equitas Health (Short North)
1033 N. High St, Columbus, OH 43201
Tuesdays: 5:30pm - 7:00pm
Saturdays: 8:30am – 12:30pm
Safe Point (Equitas Health):
1267 West Broad Street, Columbus Ohio, 43222
Tuesdays: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Wednesdays: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Fridays*: 9:00am - 1:00pm *(starting 2/19/19)
Saturdays: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Disposal Boxes (unless listed differently below available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week):
1) Franklin County JFS (Northland Opportunity Center), 1721 Northland Avenue, Columbus, OH, 43229
2) Columbus Fire Station #18, 1630 Cleveland Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211
Near East Side
3) Franklin County JFS, (Near East Opportunity Center), 1055 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Columbus, OH 43203
4) Equitas Health, 1033 North High Street, Columbus, OH 43201
5) Columbus Public Health (next to rear entrance of the building), 240 Parsons Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215
6) John Maloney Center (on the Barthman Ave side of the building), 1905 Parsons Ave, Columbus, OH 43207
7) Corpus Christi Church, 1111 Stewart Avenue, Columbus, OH 43206
8) Hilltop Library Branch (on the Powell Avenue side of the library), 511 S. Hague Ave
9) Columbus Fire Station #17, 2250 W. Broad Street, Columbus, OH 43204
10) Netcare Access, 199 S. Central Avenue, Columbus, OH 43223
11) Dodge Recreation Center, 667 Sullivant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43222