Correcting Certificates

Birth Certificate Corrections

Please call Vital Statistics at (614) 645-7331 for information on how to correct an error on a birth certificate.

Adding a Father to a Birth Certificate

Single, unmarried mothers wishing to add a father to a birth certificate must complete an Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit that can be obtained from any hospital, child support enforcement agency, or local vital statistics office. 

  • Adding a father to a birth certificate takes approximately ninety (90) days to complete once the Paternity Affidavit is received and approved. 
  • Birth certificates are not to be returned to the Office of Vital Statistics until a new certificate is on file. 
  • To check on the status of a new birth certificate with the father’s name added, please call 614-645-7331.

Death Certificate Corrections

Contact the funeral home that submitted the original information.