Ordering By Mail
- Certified copies of birth certificates for new births typically takes 8 – 10 weeks, depending on getting the information from the birth hospital (or center) and registration within the State of Ohio records system.
- If a certificate is not available at the time your application is received in the mail, the certificate will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service when it is available.
To Order by Mail
- Print and complete the application from the link below:
Birth Certificate Application
Death Certificate Application
- Mail the application and payment to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Columbus Public Health
240 Parsons Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Payment By Mail
- Payment is due before the documents can be sent to you.
- All payments are processed within 24 hours of receipt.
- Columbus Public Health accepts only personal checks, certified checks, or money orders, payable to Columbus City Treasurer.
- No Starter Checks accepted.
- Debit or credit card payment is not available for mail in applications, except when ordering online through VitalChek (a private, for profit company).
- Once the application and payment are received at our office and payment has cleared, the Office of Vital Statistics will mail your order via U.S. Postal Service. This process typically takes 7 – 10 business days if the information is available on the State of Ohio records system.
If Your Certificate Has Not Arrived
- If the application and payment was sent more than 14 days and you have not received your order, or your payment has not cleared, please contact the Office of Vital Statistics at: [email protected] or 614-645-7331.
Before You Call or Email Us...
Please provide this information in your email or have it ready when you call:
1. Name on the certificate(s) requested
2. Date of Event (birth or death)
3. Mother’s maiden name (birth certificate only)
4. Father’s name (birth certificate only)
5. Approximate date application was sent to the Office of Vital Statistics
6. Number of copies ordered and the amount and method of payment
7. Your name, mailing address, and telephone number.
8. Your e-mail address (optional)
Please remember that newborn births can be delayed until uploaded into the State of Ohio records system.