Seasonal Flu Prevention
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness that can be serious, sometimes leading to hospitalization and even death.
Follow four steps to protect yourself and your loved ones from flu.
Get your flu vaccine every year.
- Health experts recommend that all people 6 months of age and older get a flu shot.
- You cannot get the flu from the flu vaccine.
- The flu virus changes every year -- that is why you need a flu vaccine every year.
- The flu vaccine is safe. Over the years, hundreds of millions of Americans have received seasonal flu vaccines. More about vaccine safety.
- Find Local Flu Vaccine Providers
Wash your hands.
- Use soap and warm water, washing for at least 20 seconds.
- Alcohol-based hand cleaners also work (with at least 60% alcohol) when you can’t wash your hands.
Cover your cough.
- Use the sleeve of your clothes, elbow or shoulder to cover your cough or sneeze.
Stay home if you're sick.