Columbus Recreation and Parks Dept Logo

Summer Camp Registration

Summer Camp Registration

Registration & Reservations To view our exciting catalog of activities, register for classes, or reserve an athletic facility CLICK HERE.

Questions or Comments? If you have a question or comment for our department CLICK HERE.

Receive Recreation and Parks Emails

Sign Up Through GovDelivery


History: 1990-1994

img {border:1px #003D6B solid;}

History: 1990-1994

 [ 1800-1909  1910-1929  1930-1949  1950-1959  1960-1969  1970-1979   1980-1989  1990-1994  1995-1999  2000-2004  2005-2008  2009-2010]



Population 632,910

12% increase during decade

Buster Douglas, who learned boxing at Windsor

Recreation Center won Boxing Heavyweight

Championship of World against Mike Tyson.


Cleo Dumaree Athletic Complex
Built at Academy Park to replace Franklin Park Complex

that was converted to restaurants at Ameriflora ‘92





Northeast (Howard) & Carriage Place




Discovery Playground in Olde Sawmill Park

Robert Leathers Co design and community built


Topiary Garden dedicated in Deaf School Park

3 dimensional recreation of George Seurat’s painting “A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La grande Jatte”. Idea conceived by sculptor James Mason and his wife Elaine, both employed by Columbus Recreation and Parks. Gatehouse/Visitors’ Center constructed in 1998; Gatehouse courtyard in 2004.


Champions Golf Course

Opens for public play, purchased in 1988


Ameriflora ‘92 in Franklin Park

April 20 to October 12 - An international horticultural exhibition held in the park from April 20 to October 12. Cost of $95 million to produce and attracted 5.5 million visitors. Exhibition to provide permanent improvements Franklin and Wolfe Parks.


Park improvements included tennis court renovation, bikeway and parking expansion at Wolfe Park, new Athletic Complex and parking at Academy Park, improvements to the Conservatory, SS Davis Center and Adventure Center in Franklin Park, the addition of an amphitheater, open shelter, parking, playground and cascades with pond expansion in Franklin Park and the addition of trees.

The construction had a negative impact on the existing trees and the loss of mature trees over time was significant.


NE corner of the park ( 28 Acres) became the Franklin Park Joint Recreation District that operates the Conservatory.






Gary N Fenton, Director

Fenton commissioned new logo in 1995

James W. Barney Children’s Fountain

dedicated in Battelle Park

Dulcimer Festival

Began in Senior Centers





Smith Famous Farm

325 acres purchased

Columbus Recreation & Parks and Columbus and Franklin County MetroParks joined into partnership to consolidate lands into one park of 1,053 Acres named Three Creeks.


Three Creeks Park made up of 5 distinct areas: Smith Farms, Heron Pond, Madison Mills, Sycamore Field and the Confluence area, all joined by a network of greenway trails along Alum, Big Walnut and Blacklick Creeks.


Fall Harvest Fest


Davis Youth

Performing Arts



Players Theater on Franklin Avenue purchased for $258,000

1800-1909   1910-1929   1930-1949   1950-1959   1960-1969   1970-1979   1980-1989   1990-1994  ]