Columbus Recreation and Parks Dept Logo

Registration & Reservations To view our exciting catalog of activities, register for classes, or reserve an athletic facility CLICK HERE.

Questions or Comments? If you have a question or comment for our department CLICK HERE.

Receive Recreation and Parks Emails

Sign Up Through GovDelivery

GovDeliveryBubble

Glenwood Park

1888 Fairmont Ave.
Columbus, OH 43223
View on Map

History of Glenwood Park

  • The park was private property until 1911, when it was purchased by The Society for the Prevention and Cure of Tuberculosis  as a site for an "open air" school. Protests by the people of that section led to its purchase by the city, and thus its conversion into Glenwood Park the following year. (History of City of Columbus by Osman C. Hooper, 1921)
  • On May 11, 1914 the ordinance 28024 was set in place to provide for issuance of bonds to pay for the expense associated with the erection of the new recreation center building. Within that same calendar year, (December 1, 1914 and April 1, 1915) both $15,000 and $10,000 park bonds were issued.
  • On July 14, 1914  the cornerstone laying ceremony took place at the new $25,000 Glenwood Park recreation center and shelterhouse.
  • On December 14, 1916 the Glenwood Park recreation center and shelterhouse was officially opened and dedicated to the public.
  • Some years later, 1972 to be specific, the community pool was put in place.
  • On July 4, 1992 the M.E. "Jack" Sensenbrenner landmark sculpture was unveiled. This sculpture was erected to honor the former Mayor of Columbus. It was erected in the park by Greater Hilltop Community Development Corporation  and The Hilltop '92 Celebration Commission . The statue proudly stands on a hill that faces downtown Columbus.
Features
  •   Acres
  • 15.67  Acres
  • West Central  Location
Facilities