Customer Service Phone

Receive Public Utilities Emails

Sign Up Through GovDelivery


New Water and Sewer Service - for Tenants

If you are renting (or purchased on land contract) and want to receive water/sewer bills directly, you need to complete and sign a Tenant Billing Agreement with the property owner. Note: the property owner will receive a copy of all bills. Please call 614-645-8276 weekdays 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

View the FAQs for tenant billing .