Public Utilities FAQs

Please report utility repair needs to the 311 Customer Service Center, or call 614-645-8276 (weekdays 7 am - 6 pm). For non-business hours emergencies only: Water 614-645-7788; Sewer 614-645-7102; Power 614-645-7627. View the Contact Directory for description of emergencies. Please use 614-645-8276 for all other needs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Bill Payment FAQ
Bill payment questions and answers such as 'Where can I make a payment?'

Tenant Billing
Questions and answers about how to get a water/sewer bill in a tenant's name.

Power FAQs
Answers to Power and Electricity related questions.

Sewer FAQs 
Questions and answers to Sewer related topics including information about the Fats, Oil, and Grease Control Program.

Sewer Overflow FAQs
When volume exceeds capacity, sewer overflows can discharge into local waterways. Learn why this happens & where, what we are doing about it and what residents can do to help.

Water FAQs 
Answers to common questions about:

  • Fire Hydrants
  • Leaks (Household, street, hydrants, basement flooding)
  • Water quality, treatment & supply
  • Water service, meters, repairs & inspections

Algae in Drinking Water
Algae has been a growing concern in some of Ohio’s lakes and waterways, and we want to inform our customers about the many efforts undertaken by the Columbus Division of Water to ensure water quality. Included are some frequently asked questions about Algae blooms.

FAQs about Lead in Drinking Water
There is no lead in the treated water that leaves the Columbus water plants. None of the water mains in are made of lead. However, because some water service lines, home plumbing, fixtures and solder may contain lead materials or parts, precautions are taken to prevent lead from leaching into the water customers rely on at the tap.

Nitrate in Columbus Drinking Water
Only 1 of our 3 treatment plants is susceptible to elevated levels of nitrate - an infrequent occurrence which tends to be limited to April through July. Only infants less than 6 months of age are affected by elevated levels. Common questions are answered.

Water Main Breaks
Please report suspected water main breaks to 311 or 614-645-3111 immediately (weekdays 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.) or to 614-645-7788 after hours and weekends. Get answers to the most frequently asked questions about water main breaks.