The mission of the License Section is to administer and enforce
all laws, rules and regulations relating to licensing and permit requirements
for various types of businesses, charitable solicitations and users of alarm
Below is a complete list of licenses that the License Section issues. Each
section contains the following:
- a link to the applicable Columbus City Code;
- any application(s) that is required to
obtain the license; and
- any rules and regulations that may apply to the specific
section of the code.
Information submitted through the City of Columbus' website
may be subject to disclosure pursuant to a public records request. Information
submitted through the City's website may be shared with another governmental
agency if the visitor's inquiry relates to that agency. Certain types of
information (such as electronic payment information) are exempt from disclosure
as public records. If you have questions about the Ohio Public Records laws,
refer to State of Ohio's Revised Code, Section 149.43, Availability of Public
*The Department of Public Safety License Section continues
to be closed based upon Mayor Ginther’s COVID State of Emergency. The Division is working towards completion of
a reopening plan that will be the most protective of the public and our
employees. Thank you for your consideration
during this time.
In the interim, the following remote licensing processes
will be in place:
- All CURRENT licenses that expire on or after
March 18, 2020 have been extended until 14 days past the date the Mayor lifts
the COVID State of Emergency.
- The office is issuing licenses for NEW BUSINESSES ONLY (mobile food
vending, short term rentals, vehicle for hire, commercial, arcade, massage,
etc.) by utilizing the following REMOTE process:
- Please go to the below link for the license type
and print off all paperwork, including the checklist and FAQs. Complete all paperwork and obtain any
necessary notary certification.
- Obtain a BCI background check (all but charitable,
parade, community market, and alarm USERS permits) by going to a remote WebCheck
location. Those can be found at: https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Business/Services-for-Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing. It
is advised you call before to ascertain that they are open. You must have the WebCheck outlet that you
choose use the reason code: ”Other- required for city license” and
submit your fingerprints with instructions to send the results to: Columbus Public Safety, License Section,
4252 Groves Road, Columbus, Ohio 43232.
BACKGROUND RESULTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN ANY OTHER MANNER.
- If you are out of state, you can follow the
instructions under Short Term Rental licenses below to obtain an out of state
- Obtain a Letter of Good Standing from the
Columbus Auditor’s office/ Income Tax Division.
They can be contacted by phone at 614-645-7370.
- Please contact the License Section by utilizing
the link to the appropriate email box under the type of license for which you are
requesting licensure. A License Officer
will contact you to complete the process.
You will be requested to either mail or scan and email your documents to
them at a secure email address. Any
notarized documents must be accompanied by a photocopy of the ID you presented
when the documents were notarized. The
License Officer will assist you in payment, which can either be a mailed check (address)
or paid online via a link the License Officer will supply.
- Once all paperwork, including BCI results have
been obtained, verified, approved and your payment received, your license will
be emailed to you.
- For Mobile Food Vending, and Vehicle for Hire
(owners), you will be required to have an inspection(s). The License Officer will schedule an
inspection via appointment at a convenient time. Mobile Food Vending will also need a health,
fire and pressure valve test, which will be explained by the License Officer.
- You can reach out at any time with questions or
follow-up by utilizing the link associated with the needed license below.
- Effective November 9th, 2020- The License Section has installed a secure drop box at 4252 Groves Road which can be utilized to drop off applications, payments and any other documentation. It is located to the right side of the employee entrance, which is under the gray awning on the south side of the building. That box is checked every morning during the work week.
Please keep in mind
all alarm related payments can be made on-line at: https://product.cityalarmpermit.com/FAMSCITIZEN/columbus/