Trees! Trees! Trees!
Trees provide many benefits to the community for free. Here is a partial list of why trees rock!
- Lower energy costs. Trees provide shade in the summer time and this can keep your house cool. Coniferous trees (think pine needs) can help break the cold winter wind.
- Habitat. Trees are a city unto themselves. Hundreds of species use trees for shelter, resting, food, shade, and protection.
- Improve water quality. Trees along a waterway (wetland, river, stream, etc.) stabilize the bank and help prevent erosion. They also act as giant straws and soak up rain/storm water.
- Trees talk to one another, so don’t simply plant one tree, plant at least two
- Lowers the city heat island effect. Trees can keep a city cool if there is sufficient tree canopy.
- Reduce crime. The Baltimore study revealed there is a strong association with more trees and reduced crime.
- Increase property values. Mature trees can increase the value of property by as much as 10%.
- Improve quality of life. Trees can provide a relaxing view and beautify an otherwise concrete jungle in the city.
- Combat climate change. Trees soak up CO2, the leading contributor to human-caused climate change.
Our partners at Green Columbus have a tree giveaway for the Fall of 2022. Learn more.
Sustainable Steps had an awesome time partnering with Green Columbus, Blueprint Columbus, and Columbus GreenSpot!
Members of the GreenSpot Advisory Board helped with the giveaway!