About This Office
The City Auditor is the City’s chief accounting officer. The City Auditor’s Office and its Division of Income Tax is responsible for maintaining high-quality fiscal processing, tax collection and audit, debt management, record keeping, and reporting to our residents, the business community, city departments and divisions, and other interested parties.
There are six sections within the Auditor’s Office.
- Accounting and Operations is responsible for processing and maintaining accurate, systematic records of all city fiscal transactions, including certification of funds, receipts, disbursements, assets, and liabilities.
- Financial Reporting manages the city’s independent audit and compiles the city’s annual financial report and popular annual financial report (PAFR).
- Payroll handles the accurate, bi-weekly generation of paychecks and tax-withholding remittances for all of the City’s employees.
- Debt Management oversees the city’s debt issuance, credit analysis, and debt payment processes.
- Financial Systems maintains the software systems and technology functions for the entire office, including the revenue management system, the citywide payroll system, and the citywide accounting and operations system.
- Financial Analytics oversees the official revenue estimate, revenue analyses, and related functions.
DIVISION OF INCOME TAX
The Division of Income Tax carries out the collection and required functions of the city’s 2.5% income tax, the admissions tax, the short-term rental excise tax, and the hotel/motel tax.