George F. Schmidt
Geo. F. Schmidt1921 - 2013
George F. Schmidt, Founder of Schmidt’s Restaurant und Sausage Haus, was a civic and community leader and a devoted family man.
George moved into Upper Arlington in 1922, spent most of his life in the community and raised all six of his children there with his loving wife Betty.
He graduated from Our Lady of Victory High School and attended John Carroll University until WWII broke out. He entered the US Navy as a pilot trainee and received his wings in 1943. Upon leaving the service Geo. joined his father and brother in the family business, the J. Fred Schmidt Meat Packing Co. during which time he served as president of the Ohio Meat Packers Association. He later founded the Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant in 1967.
Geo. was involved in numerous Civic and Community organizations, lending his leadership skills to The Northwest Kiwanis, March of Dimes, Columbus Jaycee’s, Charity Newsies as a lifetime veteran member and the German Village Business League. Geo. helped co-found the German Village Oktoberfest and later produced the Columbus Oktoberfest.
Geo. was a devout lifetime member of St. Agatha Parish who loved fishing, golf, the Buckeyes and devoted his life to his family who followed him into the family business.