Open Burning Guidelines
In the City of Columbus, fire pits will be allowed with the following stipulations:
- Must be a commercial fire pit with a screen top or a chimney, like those that can be purchased at Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc.
- Build your own fire pits may be used but must meet the same qualifications as the commercial fire pit.
- Use only clean, seasoned firewood or equivalent.
- Water source and/or fire extinguisher located near and readily available for immediate use.
- Must be supervised at all times. Be certain that the fire is completely extinguished before leaving it unattended.
- Fire must be contained within the appliance, with no part of the flames extending outside the appliance or screen.
- No less than ten (15) feet from any combustible structure (house, fence, shed, etc). Apartment Buildings may require twenty five (25) feet.
- Fire Pits cannot be used during “Air Quality Alert” days.
- Any other “Open Burning” (trash, brush, etc) must be approved by the Division of Fire, Fire Prevention Bureau and must have a permit.
For additional information: