We offer internships in a variety of departments to college students or students attending an accredited university seeking academic credit. We work with many majors and will attempt to accommodate areas of interest. In order to be eligible for an internship with the Columbus Division of Police, you must be at least 18 years of age, have completed an in-depth Personal History Statement, have undergone a criminal background check, and have taken a polygraph examination.
This application process takes time to complete, so please understand it is best to apply well ahead of your desired start date to ensure time for processing of the paperwork and completing background investigations.
~ Crime Lab (Senior [preferred] or junior year, requires major in forensic science, chemistry, or biology and availability during weekday.)
~ Crime Scene Search Unit
~ Digital Forensics (Requires availability during daytime.)
~ Gun Crimes
~ Homicide Cold Case
~ Industrial Hygiene
~ Photo Lab (Requires availability during weekday.)
1. Complete the Internship Application, and submit it along with a Proof of Internship Credit Letter to the Division's Internship Coordinator at CPDInternship@columbuspolice.org. The Proof of Internship Credit Letter must include supporting documentation from school showing that academic credit is provided for the internship and needs to be from a College professor or advisor. (This is not a recommendation letter, it only needs to state that you will be taking internship coursework alongside our internship program.)
2. You will then receive an invite through our background investigation system to complete a Personal History Statement (PHS) and Background Packet.
3. You will have 10 days to complete and submit information.
4. A Polygraph examination is scheduled.
5. If the polygraph and background investigation are successfully passed the intern will be considered for selection/placement.
To be considered, please submit your Application and Proof of Internship Credit Letter by:
Spring Semester: November 1, 2019
Summer Semester: March 1, 2020
Fall Semester: June 1, 2020
Phone: (614) 645-4803