Water Main Breaks

If water is spraying out or ponding in the yard or street area during periods of no rain or melting snow, it may be a water break. Please report suspected water main breaks to 311 (614-645-3111) or 614-645-8276 immediately (phones open weekdays 7a.m. - 6p.m.). Our 24-hour Water Distribution Maintenance desk can also be reached after regular working hours directly at 614-645-7788. 
  • Why do water line breaks occur?
  • How are city water main break repairs prioritized?
  • Once a leak is reported, how long should I expect it to take for a repair crew to return to fix it?
  • When the crew arrives, how long does a waterline break repair take?
  • Is the water usually turned off during a repair?
  • Are property owners ever responsible for any waterline repairs?
  • Is a boil water advisory necessary on every water line break?
  • What about road closures during a repair?
  • What is the City of Columbus doing to reduce water main breaks?
  • I live outside Columbus in another municipality that contracts with Columbus for water. Who is responsible for repairing those water lines?
  • What else do I need to know?